University Life prioritizes the importance of helping new employees acclimate to their new work environments as part of our guiding principles. These resources are for hiring managers and new employees.
University Life Onboarding Process
The process outlined gives University Life hiring managers a high-level reference guide to the onboarding process.
Human Resources Process
[optional] Create a Transition Plan Document [download .doc]
Post Vacant Position
Offer Accepted by Candidate
- Candidate is “Ready for Hire” after background check.
University Life Process
Onboarding | New Hire Pre-Arrival
Notify UL Technology Services
This process will take up to 4 days to complete.
- Email Address activation.
- Access to software and applications.
- Access to group email accounts and listservs.
- Workstation and technology set-up.
Notify UL Strategic Planning Team
- Remove the job post from the UL Career webpage.
- Assign onboarding buddy to new hire.
- Create a welcome kit for the new hire (divisional swag and VP welcome note)
- Send out a monthly email to all staff introducing new hires.
Continue Internal Department-specific Onboarding
As Philadelphia’s largest employer, Penn is a diverse, inclusive learning community at the forefront of groundbreaking research and academic achievements. Our student population is exceptionally bright and committed to local and global change. When you join University Life, you are joining the greater Penn professional community.
Employees are encouraged to visit the links below for additional resources provided by campus and community partners. Your manager, team, and onboarding buddy can also be valuable resources as you navigate the start of your University Life journey.
Onboarding Buddy Program
The goal of University Life’s Buddy Program is to grow a new hire’s circle of colleagues early into their tenure at Penn. Within the first weeks of your new role, you will be contacted by email by your assigned Onboarding Buddy so you can schedule a time to meet over coffee or lunch. Our aim is to provide you with a point of contact outside of your day-to-day team that will help you navigate the student affairs community at Penn and give insight into our division by:
- Scheduling a (complimentary) lunch date
- Providing context on university culture and campus norms
- Serving as a connector with colleagues across the institution
- Pointing out the best coffee shops and restaurants around campus
- Sharing opportunities and resources such as campus traditions or recommended list-servs for you to join
- Providing a tour around campus
Did you know the University of Pennsylvania campus is a designated arboretum? Learn interesting facts and familiarize yourself with campus beyond Locust Walk on a tour! All employees, not just those who are new, are encouraged to join these tours as a wellness break and community builder. Tours offer you an opportunity to socialize with colleagues while learning about campus beyond the buildings that make up University Life.
Contact Laurie McCaffrey for details on the next University Life campus tour.